OE TSC meeting 11 August 2011 (re-send)
jefro at jefro.net
Fri Sep 30 02:53:16 CEST 2011
OE TSC meeting 11 August 2011
Attendees: Tom, Richard, Khem, Mark
01) choose a meeting chair
02) new topics
03) action items from last week
- request for focus areas for yocto, post-1.1 and beyond (RP)
still collecting input
05) Status updates
RP planning to revise local.conf.sample
- bsp guidelines
- "normal" linux recipe in oe-core that people can bbappend
- metadata layer splitting
new instance of a VM created to replace melo: 64bit, services transferring
git currently on a temporary machine, should not be much impact
#oe-infra on freenode used for OE infrastructure discussion
tom k. should send email to ml when switchover is planned, as host key may
(1:12:50 PM) Tartarus: khem is here and that makes 3 at least, so we could
(1:12:52 PM) ***khem is here too
(1:14:15 PM) khem: who chairs ?
(1:15:05 PM) Tartarus: I guess I can
(1:15:06 PM) Tartarus: agenda?
(1:15:14 PM) Jefro: Tartarus is chair. Agenda is at
(1:15:19 PM) khem: ok
(1:15:30 PM) Jefro: and yes, there is no 04.
(1:16:16 PM) Tartarus: OK, new topics, khem? RP__?
(1:16:21 PM) Tartarus: none from me
(1:16:30 PM) RP__: Nothing from me
(1:16:43 PM) khem: nothin from me. I would like to give update on new
replacement for melo
(1:17:14 PM) Tartarus: ok
(1:17:25 PM) Tartarus: So, #3
(1:17:37 PM) Tartarus: Still need more inputs for Yocto 1.1, RP__?
(1:18:09 PM) RP__: Tartarus: you mean post 1.1?
(1:18:17 PM) Tartarus: erm, yes
(1:18:28 PM) RP__: Tartarus: We're still collecting input, yes
(1:18:33 PM) fray: sorry, I missed my alarm
(1:18:46 PM) Tartarus: fray: any new AIs?
(1:18:49 PM) ***Jefro notes that fray sleeps even later than he does
(1:18:54 PM) fray: nope.. just working on bugs.. :)
(1:19:49 PM) Tartarus: RP__: Anything you need from the TSC wrt post 1.1
stuff? Or just a gentle, or not so gentle prod in our directions
(1:19:57 PM) Tartarus: And folks reading the minutes
(1:20:16 PM) RP__: Tartarus: Nothing specific, just that if anyone has input
into direction, now is the time to make it known
(1:20:22 PM) fray: I think the TSC needs input from members (and of course
ourselves) for direction.. and then we should provide input for the 1.1...
(1:20:24 PM) Tartarus: So noted.
(1:20:35 PM) Tartarus: So, moving on to status updated
(1:20:40 PM) Tartarus: khem: Go ahead :)
(1:20:59 PM) khem: there is new instance of a virtual machine created
(1:21:06 PM) khem: which is meant to replace melo
(1:21:19 PM) khem: it will be a 64bit OS
(1:21:49 PM) khem: all services should transfer to it eventually
(1:21:52 PM) khem: first will be git
(1:22:08 PM) khem: git is currently on a temporary machine
(1:22:17 PM) fray: any idea of the expected downtime?
(1:22:57 PM) khem: fray: it should not be much impact for others than RP
(1:23:02 PM) fray: ok
(1:23:08 PM) khem: since github is there
(1:23:47 PM) khem: Sometimes next week we should be able to switch git over
(1:24:04 PM) khem: there is a channel called oe-infra on freenode started by
(1:24:17 PM) khem: which is used for this work
(1:25:10 PM) khem: folks might see DNS issues thats what I expect
(1:25:20 PM) khem: since propagation is not that fast
(1:25:22 PM) RP__: likely the host key will change again I guess
(1:25:27 PM) khem: yes :(
(1:26:06 PM) khem: Once the switchover is planned out Tom should send email
(1:26:18 PM) RP__: khem: did we ever close out on whether the yocto servers
would be better?
(1:26:41 PM) ***RP__ knows we've discussed this several times but doesn't
know if we every reached a resolution
(1:27:08 PM) khem: I dont think so. most inclination was to have oe.org host
(1:27:24 PM) RP__: khem: it would still be the oe domain
(1:27:34 PM) RP__: khem: just share some infrastructure
(1:27:44 PM) khem: yes I meant serverwise
(1:28:02 PM) RP__: ok
(1:29:16 PM) khem: may be board should discuss this too
(1:29:27 PM) Tartarus: yes, this feels like a board thing
(1:29:38 PM) Tartarus: IMHO, from a technical POV we just need it working,
(1:29:44 PM) khem: yep
(1:29:48 PM) Tartarus: The "politics" of it is a board issue
(1:30:06 PM) khem: thats all update I have
(1:30:29 PM) Tartarus: OK
(1:30:34 PM) Tartarus: RP__: any general updates?
(1:30:47 PM) khem: on infra again there is build machine that Tom is
spec'ing out for oe continuous builds
(1:30:53 PM) khem: with LF I guesss
(1:30:53 PM) RP__: Tartarus: just that we're very much in bugfixing mode atm
(1:31:15 PM) RP__: making a big effort to close out various issues, some of
them long standing
(1:31:39 PM) ***RP__ is about to rip local.conf.sample apart, its a disgrace
as it stands
(1:32:22 PM) khem: we should also discuss after october release fate of
(1:32:22 PM) Jefro: (actually I have found it quite helpful)
(1:32:22 PM) Tartarus: k
(1:32:26 PM) fray: ya, I think it's due for a cleanup..
(1:32:28 PM) Tartarus: Any other updates?
(1:32:29 PM) fray: (again) ;)
(1:32:53 PM) RP__: Jefro: I want to restructure it more than anything and
remove the pieces a new user doesn't or shouldn't have to care about
(1:33:13 PM) RP__: Tartarus: I think the mailing list has covered things
(1:33:17 PM) Tartarus: ok
(1:33:24 PM) RP__: Are there any questions for me?
(1:33:31 PM) Tartarus: Any last minute topics from anyone?
(1:33:33 PM) Tartarus: Otherwise, that's a meeting
(1:34:02 PM) RP__: So people know that some of us are at Linuxcon next week
(1:34:06 PM) khem: oh one thing I was asked by someone interested in
(1:34:08 PM) RP__: I'll be on a plane the week after
(1:34:24 PM) khem: whats our security update policy
(1:34:37 PM) Tartarus: khem: Don't have one
(1:34:44 PM) RP__: khem: For any issues we're aware of we'll add patches
(1:34:50 PM) Tartarus: Ask your $vendor or pick up some work, imho
(1:35:07 PM) RP__: khem: We do track some things, we don't claim to be
(1:35:09 PM) khem: ok. so people misunderstand yocto as a vendor too
(1:35:15 PM) Tartarus: RP__: We do? We who?
(1:35:26 PM) RP__: Tartarus: I'm speaking for Yocto
(1:35:51 PM) Tartarus: RP__: OK. It'd be nice if what your will fix
criteria is was somewhere
(1:35:54 PM) khem: RP__: ok. but this is something may be should be written
(1:35:57 PM) khem: whatever we do
(1:36:02 PM) Tartarus: s/will fix/is watching for/
(1:36:07 PM) fray: The official Yocto policy as I know it, is fix it when we
know about it. We're not yet in a position to be proactive on security as a
(1:36:16 PM) RP__: Tartarus: I agree it could be better documented
(1:36:18 PM) fray: (but I think we're getting there, that may turn into a
(1:36:18 PM) RP__:
(1:36:36 PM) khem: ok.
(1:36:40 PM) Tartarus: proactive hell, reactive is hard enough, even with
the cut down list in oe-core
(1:36:43 PM) Tartarus: forget meta-oe :)
(1:36:56 PM) RP__:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/log/?qt=grep&q=CVE is better
(1:37:03 PM) Tartarus: Also, I'm not sure there's a lot of value in
proactive works these days
(1:37:17 PM) ***Tartarus did an updated scarf and digetst CVE data stuff,
back at Mentor
(1:37:25 PM) RP__: I think the basis is we're looking at any CVEs that apply
to our versions
(1:37:32 PM) fray: proactive = we're looking for CVEs.. reactive we wait
until some finds a defect
(1:37:54 PM) Tartarus: Yeah, even that is s alot of work, even once you're
(1:38:14 PM) khem: thanks
(1:38:20 PM) ***Tartarus would be happy to talk with whomever is doing that
on the Yocto side, having done the scarf and dump CVE thing twice now
(1:38:23 PM) fray: yes, it is.. thats why we're not doing it yet.. we're
still doing infrastructure and other things.. many of the security issues
are being handled by the uprev at this point
(1:38:36 PM) RP__: Tartarus: ping Scott Garman
(1:38:40 PM) RP__: (zenlinux)
(1:38:46 PM) Tartarus: k
(1:39:13 PM) RP__: Tartarus: As you can see we are trying to include CVE
numbers in logs and so on
(1:39:24 PM) fray: ya, general method I've used is scarf CVE.. diff to last
version.. review differences.. anything that is linux (or open source) see
if we even have the package.. pawn it off to someone else who has more info
on that particular package
(1:39:53 PM) Tartarus: RP__: yeah, that's a good step
(1:40:02 PM) fray: for oe-core it's at least possible to find a maintainer..
for meta-oe.. I'm not sure what we'll get
(1:40:09 PM) Tartarus: fray, the next step to me at least was to add in some
filtering to make triage easier
(1:40:35 PM) RP__: Tartarus: we need more work in this area for sure
(1:40:37 PM) fray: ya.. thats the could it affect us part, or are you
talking about even more then that?
(1:40:37 PM) Tartarus: since it still sucks to triage 200 items which
happens, and 190 of them are *Windows* or *Cisco* or ...
(1:40:46 PM) fray: :)
(1:40:52 PM) Tartarus: I've done it and got some thoughts on it :)
(1:41:00 PM) Tartarus: So ping me when you guys get that far along
(1:41:10 PM) khem: yeah I love that Cisco part
(1:41:21 PM) fray: (for the record I and Tartarus were security folks at
MontaVista.. and I was the security lead at Wind River until recently..)
(1:41:39 PM) Tartarus: … and I did security stuff at Mentor
(1:42:03 PM) ***RP__ hereby delegates to the experts ;-)
(1:42:26 PM) fray: if/when we get to this point.. the triage and
notification that we MIGHT have a problem is way more important then
actually fixing it.. (and unfortunately is likely more time consuming)
(1:43:42 PM) Tartarus: So, I think that's enough of that
(1:43:45 PM) Tartarus: Anything else?
(1:44:10 PM) fray: nothing here
(1:44:11 PM) RP__: Not from me
Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the tsc