[Gpephone-devel] Email application current status and improvement plan
linuxstb at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 11:46:51 CET 2007
Regarding Email improvement, the following is my opinion:
1. Since the current vmware image doesn't have Email app, it is difficult for the developers in the community to have a try and then give comments, therefore, it would be really nice if the vmware image can be updated with Email app installed on it (or a piece of guide on how to install Email into the current vmware image).
2. The Email app bases on tinymail for email tranmission/account management, etc. What we have modified to tinymail, and what we intend to modify in the future, should be merged into the tinymail mainstream. It is not acceptable to maintain a seperate tinymail version. therefore, it would be really nice to corporate with the author of tinymail to implement relevant functionalities.
3. For email/mailbox local storage/management (tinymail has no current funcitonalities yet), maybe we can follow JSR 266 or similar LiPS spec. We can also talk to tinymail author first. Maybe he has similar plan?
zhangbin <windgobupt at gmail.com> wrote: Compared with other components of GPE Phone Edition, Email application is relative simple with less function. The limitation of current Email application includes:
1. only one account (both for store and transport email) can be configured
2. local storage of email is not supported, so Sent Outbox and Draft are all not implemented.
3. only "text/plain" part of email message can be displayed when view the specific email.
4. attachment is not supported.
Email application depends on patched tinymail libraries to implement the real email transmission, but for the GUI section,
Email application reuses part of SMS application code. Email application has almost the same structure and even some
function name as SMS application. This is due to hurry implementation of Email application, and results in bugs coming from
SMS code and unsuitable architecture.
So, I'd like to start to improve the Email application from the following aspects:
1. rewrite some of existed code, correct the function name and fix bugs
2. design a new architecture which suits Email application.
3. add more functions, including support of multiple accounts setting, implement local storage
I will start the improvement quickly, Is there anyone has comment and advice on this task? Or anybody also has interest on it?
Gpephone-devel mailing list
Gpephone-devel at linuxtogo.org
Get your own web address.
Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gpephone-devel